The Growing Queue for Norman’s $359m ‘Fetid Platter of Horsesh**’ That Could Blow up Golf

It’s the $AU359m golf league that threatens to blow the PGA Tour up – and won’t go away.

While Phil Mickelson’s incredulous comments about the Saudi-bankrolled series – “scary motherf*****s” – have seen the six-time major winner go into hibernation, the LIV Golf Invitational Series is not fading away.

Indeed, if anything, it appears full steam ahead for Aussie Greg Norman’s-backed competition.

At least, that’s if you believe Norman.

Others are more sceptical about how the series is shaping up.

“Norman is serving a fetid platter of horseshit and claiming it’s boeuf bourguignon,” respected golf writer Eamon Lynch put it earlier in the week in an article for USA Today.

 

On Monday, 25th April, applications for a release from the PGA Tour to play in the first three-day tournament at the Centurion Club – with a lazy AUD$35,123,450 as prize pool – starting on June 9 closed. The DP World Tour – formally the European Tour – deadline is in a fortnight.

Quickly, word continued to filter through exactly who has sent through applications.

It’s been widely reported 15 of the top 100 players in the world have sent through applications seeking a release to play in the opening tournament.

Household names such as 2017 Masters champion Sergio Garcia, 2010 Open champion Louis Oosthuizen, who is ranked 15th in the world, and some of Europe’s best Lee Westwood and Ian Poulter want in.

Australia’s Adam Scott, who won the 2013 Masters, is another who has spoken about the breakaway competition and is said to have applied for a release too.

 

Mickelson, who only in February said the backers of the LIV Golf Invitational series had a “horrible record on human rights” and was considering joining the breakaway competition because it could “reshape how the PGA Tour operates”, too confirmed he was seeking a release to keep his options open.

READ: San Jose Earthquakes Defender Nathan Suspended for Challenge on Raul Ruidiaz

The 51-year-old Mickelson, who became the oldest player to win a major last year, has also signed up to defend his PGA Championship and play in next month’s US Open.

“Our client Phil Mickelson is officially registered to play in the PGA Championship as well as the US Open,” Steve Loy, co-president Sportfive management, said in a statement.

“We have also filed a request on his behalf for a release to play in the first LIV Golf Invitational in London, June 9-11. This request complies with the deadline of April 25 set forth by the PGA Tour to compete in a conflicting tour event.

“Phil currently has no concrete plans on when and where he will play. Any actions taken are in no way a reflection of a final decision made, but rather to keep all options open.”

Bearing this in mind, what does it all mean? We breakdown the big talking points from the breakaway golf tournament.

Updated: April 29, 2022 — 7:11 am