SIDE EFFECTS OF GABAPENTIN USES & PRECAUTIONS
In this article we will be considering the side effects of Gabapentin Uses & Precautions.
- Gabapentin, sold under the brand name Neurontin among others, is an anticonvulsant medication used to treat partial seizures, neuropathic pain, hot flashes, and restless legs syndrome.
- Gabapentin is an anti-epileptic drug, also called an anticonvulsant. It affects chemicals and nerves in the body that are involved in the cause of seizures and some types of pain.
- Gabapentin is used together with other medicines to treat partial seizures in adults and children at least 3 years old.
- Gabapentin is also used to treat neuropathic pain (nerve pain) caused by herpes virus or shingles (herpes zoster) in adults.
Uses of Gabapentin
Gabapentin is used with other medications to prevent and control seizures. It is also used to relieve nerve pain following shingles (a painful rash due to herpes zoster infection) in adults. Gabapentin is known as an anticonvulsant or antiepileptic drug.
Note that Gabapentin;
- Gabapentin oral capsule is available as both a generic and brand-name drug.
- Gabapentin is also available as an immediate-release oral tablet, an extended-release oral tablet, and an oral solution.
- Gabapentin oral capsule is used to treat partial seizures in adults and children. It’s also used to treat nerve pain caused by a shingles infection.
Precautions Before Taking Gabapentin
You should not use gabapentin if you have any of the following;
- lung disease
- kidney disease (or if you are on dialysis)
- Suicidal thoughts or actions;
- A drug addict
- Liver disease
- heart disease
- If you are a day sleeper or work a night shift.
Side effects of Gabapentin
- Panic attacks
- Aggressive or violent behavior
- Extreme increase in activity and talking
- Unusual changes in behavior or mood
- Emotional changes
- Lack of concentration
- Skin rashes
- Swollen glands
- Swollen lips and tongue
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes
- Unusual bruising or bleeding
- Muscle pain
- Frequent infections
Gabapentin Sexual Side Effects
- Low-dose gabapentin may result in marked sexual dysfunction, including loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, ejaculatory dysfunction, and anorgasmia. Such sexual dysfunction may lead to medication noncompliance.
- Researchers have found that men taking gabapentin a medication commonly used to treat neuropathic pain, seizures and bipolar disease in older and elderly patients, seems to have a higher incidence of anorgasmia, or failure to experience orgasm.